Thursday, July 16, 2009

Growth Chart

Growth Chart - Finally!!

I've had this on my "to do" list for many, many months now. Yesterday I got tired of seeing it on my list and decided to make it. I bought a 6 foot piece of molding at Lowes and the numbers I bought on ebay. All the numbers I saw at local craft stores were too large or too small.

I measured and made lines with a fine sharpie every inch and hot glued the numbers every foot. The chart is going to sit 1 foot off the ground, so there was no need for the number 1. I love the look of it, but I'm sure you could make it more colorful if you just had small children. I'm sure my older boys appreciate this look.

Now I just need to transfer the names, heights & dates from the wall to our new growth chart!

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Old Red Barn Quilt Along - Week 4

Finished Quilt Top

The top to the Old Red Barn Quilt Along is finally done! I love it, but I am VERY scared to quilt it. I have no scraps left over to make a small quilt and practise on, so I am going to make a few doll quilts from other fabric that I have. I am already 2 weeks (or is it 3) behind, so I'm sure this is going to set me back some more. Oh well... I took pictures of the quilt on a queen size bed, but the quilt is too small for the bed. I'm sure it would look great on a twin, but we don't have any twin size beds in our house.

I copied Crazy Mom Quilts idea and added a row of fabric to the top and bottom of the quilt, just to make it a little bigger. I think it looks great.

I had 39 squares and 13 small pieces. I made the quilt 6 squares wide by 6 squares long, using 36 squares. I am cutting down the last 3 squares to make a small row on the back, like Leisel did in this quilt (isn't she talented!). I used 12 of the 13 small pieces to make the extra row on the top and bottom of the quilt.

I think I might buy some extra fabric to make a couple pillowcases too....